Monday, February 20, 2006

A Plea for Sanity

It’s a fucking cartoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me just say this….if every religion reacted with this sort of violence when one of their deities was satirized in a cartoon, then the world would have gone to shit a long time ago.

Now, I am NOT saying anything bad about the Islamic faith because I would not begrudge anyone the right or privilege to worship how he or she wants. But that doesn’t mean that I approve of the methods taken by certain people of that faith to harm other individuals.

If you are not sure what I am talking about, then let me enlighten you. I am angered over the bombings and violet riots that have been ensuing lately over a cartoon that was published last year. A cartoon appeared in a Dutch paper in September that showed Muhammad, the Prophet of Allah in the Islamic faith, in an unflattering light. Thus many Muslims are upset and, apparently, showing their discontent with the killing of others. I guess this just seems natural. Get mad at one guy and kill a bunch of innocent people. Sure, that’s the right move.

Once again, I don’t have a problem with Islamic faith in general, or even Muslims in general…what I have a problem with is those certain few who decide that the right thing to do to get their point across is to resort to violence. That’s just cowardice in my book. You don’t believe in my faith so shoot you. That’s just wrong.

And it’s not just Muslims. Christians are guilty of this too. Does anyone remember reading about the Crusades in school? That was Christians using force to try and push their religion on others.

The point is…it’s a fucking cartoon!!!!!!!

Please, get a grip. Tell the artist he is a bastard, throw a pile of shit at his door to show your disdain, and get the fuck on with your life. A riot is not the answer. The guy has just as much right to say what he wants about Muhammad as he does to say what he wants about Jesus, Buddha, Confucius, and Shiva. It’s his purgative as a self-thinking human being to believe what he wants just like you do.

Please do not condone the violence that had been ensuing or condone more in the future. The world needs a little more understanding rather than blind hatred. I must admit that I haven’t fully read up on the faith of Islam, but I did read that in the Islam religion, much like Christianity, it is a sin to take another’s life or your own. Thus is it wrong to generalize and say that the suicide bombers, or violent protestors of this cartoon, are the majority of Muslims. I don’t believe that. Misconceptions like these are what keeps the people of different religions separated from each other.

Let’s stop and think a moment before we act. This would save a lot of lost lives along the way.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. I didn't even read the whole entry (just the first line), but I agree.

I, of course, also think your "cupid" entry is full of junk, but then again, I'm probably a bit gender-biased since I'm part of the 50% of the population that is on the outside of the "veil of trickery" you're trying to advocate.

Give us a little bit of credit!

7:12 AM  
Blogger Burning Stickman said...

Sorry, I did not mean to be one sided or imply that women do not go through the same ordeal on Valentine's Day. You can also use V-Day as a get out of jail free card for any kinky thing that your male wants to do for the rest of the year.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By 'credit', I was implying that our scorn lasts all year, regardless of some cheap (or other) gift thrown our way in the 2nd or 3rd week of February.

However...
I was just kidding. It's good that there's an "Oprah for men" out there now. They need you.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Burning Stickman said...

I appreciate the comments. It's nice to know that someone is actually reading my blog.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home