Friday, April 07, 2006

Melting Faces

Think about all the truly great bands that have come out over the years. It seems that most of them start with the article “the.” The Beatles, The Who, The Doors, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin. (I didn’t say all of them) I’m trying to start a band and the first thing we have decided on is that we need a name that begins with “the.” Here are some suggestions.

The Guys
The Master Baiters
The Senate Minority
The Chocolate Pudding Blues Band
The Last Time I Saw These Guys They Were Sober

Ya know, something that really rolls off the tongue. So far it’s me and two other guys and we all play guitar, so we’re exploring the idea of making that the key instrument instead of, say…the tuba. The tuba idea was kicked around also, but we were all pretty wasted on Red Stripes and Jägermeister and we decided that the tuba just didn't melt enough faces when put through a speaker. So the first step (ruling out the tuba and deciding to go with guitars) has been taken and all we need is a name to begin our rise to triumphant glory. (this is what they’ll say on the VH1 special. “It was the beginning of their rise to triumphant glory.”)

Most of our practices have consisted of us getting together, listening to music, drinking beer, and talking about what we would like to play. No actual playing as of yet (except for the time Atchison came over and we played the beginnings to about eight songs but never actually made it all the way through) but we believe strongly in the naming of the band so we have made that the first priority.

A question occurred to me yesterday, as we were drinking and talking about music of the early 90’s, and I find myself wondering about it today. When do you become too old to rock? I’m only 26, but it’s different than when I was in bands in college. In college, when we got together to jam we drank and talked about stuff like our crappy jobs and hot girls. Now that I work for a living we get together, drink and talk about serious stuff like government and the current economic situation. We also talk about our crappy jobs and hot women, so I guess nothing much has changed.

Look for us to be on the radio soon. With a name like The Parisian Democrats (or some other variation on a “the” name) we are a sure thing to be on the top of the billboards soon.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would go with chocolate pudding, but thats just me. If you want "the" in a title and you are wanting to redefine yourself...
"The" Definition. Now if you want to stand out...
"A" Definition. Or you could harass nieghboring countries with...
"Ehhh" Definition.
What do you think of those "(The) Road Apples". EHH?

john

9:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Naw, go with The Master Baiters. After all, you guys are just sitting around jerking off instead of playing.
And you never get too old to rock.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Christiane said...

Too old to rock? You don't know how that pierced my thirty six (seven?) year old heart.

Pudding will sell. Baiters has been done. Minority won't apply for long (fingers crossed). Finally, have you guys ever really been sober? Good luck . . .

7:31 AM  
Blogger Burning Stickman said...

Unfortunatly, yes. We have been sober on some occasions. As to the "Ehhh," I'm not sure I'm ready to alie myself with the Canadians. I'm not saying that they are bad people, but they did give us Brian Adams. In some people's minds that is enough to go ahead and start a war.

I found that it's not that I'm too old to rock, but that I feel that way sometimes. Gone are the carefree days when I didn't worry about bills and a job. Stupid quarter-life crisis.

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home